Wednesday 11 March 2015

Supernova - 90s indie and beyond...

Dedicated to music new and old from the legends of 90s indie. 

Supernova was originally a fanzine written by myself, Ben Scott. It ran from 1997 until 2000 and featured music reviews, news and opinions. Initially handwritten and featuring some crap comic strips, I soon upgraded to typing it up on a borrowed laptop before printing out lots of photocopies and distributing the finished zine to various record shops in Bath and Wiltshire. Back then I always thought that the bands I was listening to would stay at the top forever. Times changed of course, and I turned out to be wrong. But imagine a world where those bands stayed in the spotlight eternally... That world is the revived Supernova.  

The zine stopped in late 2000 as my college years and subsequent late teen years got in the way. But I returned to writing about music in 2010, before going on to write for God Is In The TV as well as my own RW/FF site. Having found myself still listening to many of the bands and artists that soundtracked my life in the 90s, I've decided to relaunch Supernova for all those who share my love for the indie legends of the era. And it's not just nostalgia: the purpose of this site is also to keep updated with these acts as they continue to stand strong in the present day. Articles will include reviews, opinion pieces, memories, mixtapes, the occasional interview and lots more.


Among the bands/artists you can expect to see: Ash, Astrid, Astronaut, Babybird, Belle And Sebastian, Blur, The Boo Radleys, Bravecaptain, Martin Carr, Cast, The Charlatans, Edwyn Collins, Gaz Coombes, Delakota, Dodgy, Echobelly, Elastica, Electronic, Feeder, Fixed Stars, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Garbage, Gene, Gorky's Zycotic Mynci, Grandaddy, Hefner, The High Fidelity, Idlewild, James, JJ72, Kula Shaker, Levellers, Longpigs, Manic Street Preachers, Mansun, Mercury Rev, Mogwai, Muse, Northern Uproar, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Primal Scream, Pulp, Radiohead, R.E.M, Martin Rossiter, Shed Seven, Spiritualized, Suede, Super Furry Animals, Supergrass, The Supernaturals, Teenage Fanclub, Travis, Ultrasound, The Verve, The Wannadies and many more...

No comments:

Post a Comment