Sunday 12 April 2015

REWIND: Supergrass 'Mansize Rooster'

A superb single that made the charts just over 20 years ago in February 1995. The mighty SupergrassLike a lot of people who got into indie music via Britpop, 'Alright' was the first Supergrass track I ever heard, but it's the awesome 'Mansize Rooster' that I will be featuring today. When I talk about the era I often refer to the excitement and positivity of the times... Well, this storming track has it all: a combination of jaunty Blur/Madness music hall bounce and a blast of British punk fury during the chorus. Thrilling indeed. 

'Mansize Rooster' was released as the second single from 'I Should Coco'. It went in at #20 in the UK Singles Chart, remaining on the chart for three weeks. According to Wikipedia: "The song, although this not necessarily obvious from the lyrics, is said to be about someone who has a large penis despite their young age." Well I never. It was played as Supergrass' first ever live television performance on The Word in 1995 (which can be seen below).



No comments:

Post a Comment